Pages

1.12.2011

Rap or Hip-Hop?

So here we are again, and today I thought I would do a little comparrison so perhaps my words are read for more then just filler. Although really, words cannot stand up to the music. So here we go, the style debate that never ends, is modern day rap better then the classic flow.

So I have to preface this with the fact that I like both songs, just they are very different. So, lets go with the first one up, makes sense, no? Look At Me Now, a song about thuggin' and fame, now don't get me wrong I'm not down talking, just getting it out there. This song starts out with what I have to say is probably the weakest part of the song, Chris Brown's rapping. Now, I'm not a fan of his but honestly, he made a name for himself singing. He does some of that but still, I'm not an R&B,it will be someone's favourtie part I'm sure. Next up is Busta Rhymes, and he straight kills it. But then again, when doesn't he. His flow is fast and delievered with passion. Personally, this is the best part of the song. Lastly, we have Lil' Wayne, and while his rhymes are bettter then Brown's, his southern accent is annoying to me. Also, his verse is very attacking of other people, while the other two are about how top class they are so I find that tad weird. While this is going on, it's clear the words are the focus as the soundtrack is just a simple bump that is predictable. Overall, the 2nd verse is by far the best and the rest just kinda is there, not really making any lasting impact. While unimaginative, the beat is good enough to nod your head to and the lyrics are decent enough to blast.

In this corner we have Nujabes representing Japan. He raps in English so if you haven't gotten there yet don't worry. Actually, wait, listen to the song first I don't wanna taint your opinion. Done? Good, lets get on with it. The beat of this song is much differently then the previous, broken up with scratches showing some old-school experience and it is as important to the song as the lyrics, well not quite but it helps with setting the mood. His lyrics are about love, thus the name, and while it is up to the listener to establish if he is indeed talking about a person, or music. I think it's a bit of both, think back to Common's I Used to Love H.E.R.. His flow is slow, deliberate and emotional. While you wouldn't wanna blast this at a party or in the gym, it is a piece that really makes me thing. And now, I must take a moment out to wish the best to Nujabes, he died in a car accident nearly a year ago, on February,26. At merely 36, while all deaths are a tragedy, the emotionally beauty he could sustain with a song, I must mourn the loss of this great artist, R.I.P.

So there you have it, my thoughts on this debate, in summary, I think both have merrit, just depends on the time, place and mood of me. And so, if you have any thoughts, let me know. And I might keep doing this comparrison thing, it lets me share more music and give thought to what I really want from a song. Anyways, I hope you guys enjoy the music and have a good one.
Peace.

Look At Me Now-Chris Brown,Busta Rhymes and Lil' Wayne
Luv Sic(Pt.2)-Nujabes

No comments:

Post a Comment